Monday, November 17, 2014

tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation Review


I haven't done a foundation review before, mainly because I haven't changed my foundation for the past 5 years (not even an exaggeration), so you should know that this one is something special!


Here's some info:
  • £32.50 
  • Full coverage
  • 12 hour wear
  • SPF 15
  • Vegan
  • Cruelty Free

tarte has been on my radar for a while now but until recently it's been pretty difficult to get your hands on here in the UK. Now some of tarte's products are available on QVC and a little birdy told me that they might be expanding the range of products they offer over here some time soon.

The shade system is really useful. The undertone is written on the packaging!
The first thing I noticed was the texture. It's quite thick and more like a cream than a liquid so a little definitely goes a long way. Huzzah!

The coverage, in my opinion, is medium coverage but can be built up. The photos below are unedited (apart from a brightness boost) so you can see up close and personal how it really looks on the skin. Here's a look at the different levels of coverage:


Bare face.


A thin layer of foundation over top of a primer with no concealer or corrector. Very natural looking on the skin.


Second layer of foundation. No concealer or corrector.


Two layers of foundation plus concealer and corrector over spots and dark circles.

I personally like to wear just a thin layer of the foundation, like in the first photo, to balance out the colour of my skin and then use concealer to over up anything else like darkness around the eyes and any obvious spots. When you start building the foundation too much you risk it looking cakey and creasing.

The finish is matte but if you're prone to getting oily in areas I would recommend setting those areas with a powder to prevent the foundation from breaking up which I did experience the first time I tried the foundation and didn't set in those areas. I also set my forehead and around my mouth to prevent those areas creasing up.

I'm really pleased with this foundation and the fact it stays on no problem throughout the day. I've been looking for something similar to Estée Lauder Double Wear but a tad less 'cement-like' (as it can be quite drying) but I wanted something just as full coverage and something that wouldn't move around through the day and I think I've found it! Next I want to get my hands on their concealer!

Have you tried this foundation? What do you think?

You can buy from tarte's website here or from QVC here.