Wednesday, July 03, 2013

IMATS London

I was lucky enough to be able to go to IMATS for the first time this year! IMATS stands for International Make-Up Artist Trade Show, for those of you wondering. It's basically a must go to gathering for any makeup enthusiast. There are demonstrations from makeup professionals, talks on stage, and of course you have to chance to buy makeup and tools with a nice little discount. Read more about it here.

I had an entirely different plan for how I wanted my IMATS coverage to go. I wanted to do a nice little 'follow me around' type video, complete with an outfit of the day and a haul at the end. Needless to say, this didn't happen, and that's why you're reading about my nooby IMATS experience here rather than watching a video right now. I was so overwhelmed by the amount of people, and how hot it was, and how late I was, that I never got round to filming anything. In fact, all I managed to get was this photo of me and Klaire and blurry photo of this colourful lady's nipple tassels. I feel like this year's IMATS was kind of like a trial run, and next year I'll know what's what and I'll be able to take you along with me.


I'm going to show you what I bought in a moment, but first here are some IMATS survival tips from a first timer: 
  • SET YOURSELF A BUDGET. Honestly. I didn't buy loads of stuff, but my bank account doesn't feel that way, haha! 
  • Get cash out before you get into the venue. Many vendors were only accepting cash so the queues at the cash points were crazy. 
  • Don't be shy. If you're waiting to buy something then let the person selling know. Don't stand around waiting for their attention or you'll be there all day. 
  • Don't buy on your first walk around. Have a look at everything they have to offer first or you'll end up getting to the fifth stall and you'll have spent all your money. 
  • Write a list! Check the exhibitor list on the IMATS website and think about if there's anything you've been meaning to buy or want to check out pre-show. My friend Klaire had her list ready and her shop was much more successful than mine. 
  • Have fun! 

Now for the things I bought while I was there. I'm not going to talk too much about them, if you want any reviews etc. then just ask. But I'm sure you'll see many of them in use in future videos anyway.



Ben Nye Fresh Scab blood. Lovely and thick, perfect for wounds. And the Ben Nye Bruise Color Wheel. 




Spray on Splatter Blood by Make-up International. And Ben Nye Black Tooth Color. I'm definitely buying more of these Tooth Colors. They're way more effective than the waxes I've previously used. 


Glitter and more glitter! The black glitter is from Ben Nye and the orange glitter is from Paris Berlin: Professional Makeup.


Stargazer Eyeshadows. The blue and copper are beautifully pigmented. The white and black... Not so much.


Mehron E.Y.E Powder Palette 207. This isn't on their site but you can buy them separately here. And click here to see my latest tutorial using this palette!


Lime Crime Lipstick in Centrifuchsia. LOVE THIS. Mehron L.I.P Cream in Fiesta. ALSO LOVE THIS.


Ben Nye Lip Color in Vixen. And OCC Lip Tars in Interlace and Narcissus. Used in this video.

I also bought some sponges. How exciting. OH. And I bought some Space Ear Tips from Woochie Special FX. I'm going to be using them as elf ears though. Spoilers! 

Did you go to IMATS this year? Will I see you there next year?! It was lovely meeting some of you! If we took photos together you should send them to me on Twitter. I'd love to see them. :)