Monday, April 01, 2013

Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove Review

I'm a little late to the party, but a few people wanted to know my thoughts on this product, so here goes!
I got the Sigma newsletter about the glove and I thought it was something really new and innovative and I had every intention of buying one when I got home to my laptop. When I got home, it was already in my house waiting for me which was a nice surprise! (I've only recently become a Sigma affiliate and didn't realise that one of the perks was new products to try out. Yay!) Anyway. I opened the box and was immediately a little put off. The glove is huge. I'm talking oven mitt huge. I'm a little lady with little hands and I had some problems using it. But my brushes also had the time of their lives. So I'm sat on the fence.


Let me tell you the basics:
  • 'Quick, easy and effective method to deep clean your makeup brush collection'
  • 'Variety of necessary textures and surfaces for removing all makeup from brushes'
  • Dual-sided
  • Microfiber glove insert for comfort 
  • Latex-free
  • 4 colours
  • $39 approx £26
I'll start by telling you that all the nubs and textures gave my brushes one hell of a sexy clean. They had the time of their lives. Honestly. The glove has two sides, one for face brushes and one for eye brushes, each side has a few different textures for each step of your cleaning routine; wash, rinse, refine, & shape. The different textures really make sure you can work your way through the bristles and get all of the makeup out. During the cleaning process the cleaning product you're using will lather up nicely and by the time you're done the water you're rinsing with will be running clear. And you don't get your hands wet! Click here for a video showing how to use it.

It does what it's supposed to do. Great! But it has one major downfall... the size. Bigger is not always better. When I was wearing it, because I have quite small hands, there was so much extra room inside the glove and it just lolled down at the side rendering about an inch of it useless. Unless I spread my fingers out inside the glove it would just move around on my hand while I was trying to clean the brushes. The number of times I got cramp in my hand trying to keep this thing taut enough to be able to use it properly was ridiculous. I appreciate that it needs to be able to fit all hand sizes. But I would love, love, love if there was a choice of small, medium, or large.


I probably won't use this glove again purely because of it being far too big for me. Which is a shame because it really is a fantastic idea and my brushes were lovely and clean afterwards. Part of me is tempted to cut it in half and stick it on to a plastic board or something so I can still use it. HOWEVER. I went on to Facebook and discussed the glove and cleaning techniques with a few people and one girl suggested a DIY alternative by SecretLifeOfaBioNerd and I can't express enough how genius it is! I'll probably do another blog post comparing the glove and the cleaning tablet once I've made one for myself.



If you're interested, you can buy the Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove here.
(Free gift on orders over $30 ^_^)