Wednesday, January 01, 2014

My 2013

Hey! Today I wanted to share with you my 2013. I don't feel like I've done an awful lot this year but I think it's important to reflect and remind yourself of what you've achieved every now and then. And yearly seems to be the popular choice! If you follow me on Instagram then you've probably seen these photos before but hey ho. I very rarely take photos, which I'm sure I'll regret when I'm older... Sorry old Emma.

January

Ever since moving down south I always forget how difficult my life used to be jumping from Yorkshire to London every other weekend. Not only to visit my boyfriend, Brad, but also for work opportunities. In January I did makeup for a TomSka video... In a power station. I have never been so cold in my life. My makeup products froze and I couldn't feel my feet at the end of the day!

February 
February was a pretty awesome YouTube filled month. I did some makeup for for Google, turning Chris Kendall (Crabstickz) into a plastic fantastic presenter type man which was really fun to do. I'd only ever done 'no makeup makeup' or SFX makeup before then, so it was a nice change being able to do obvious makeup.
February was also the month of BeautyCon, London. A gathering of some of the beauty girls from YouTube. I met so many wonderful people!

March
In March I got my first Sigma press kit and one of my videos was featured on their website. This was such a big deal for me! I've loved Sigma for years, even since before I started making YouTube videos, so the fact that they even know I exist means a lot to me. Another 'omg' moment was when I was in a Ryan Seacrest competition. To be listed alongside names like Kandee Johnson, KlairedeLys and NikkieTutorials was just mind blowing for me.  

April
In April my Pop Art video was blowing up so I was invited to the Lichtenstein exhibition at the Tate. I took Brad along with me and we had a really awesome day! I also posted my Q&A video. And I know you're wondering why I'm saying this like it's a highlight of my year. Because it definitely was! Some of you will already know this, but I'm absolutely riddled with anxiety issues. I don't even leave the house because I'm so scared of people. So when I filmed and posted that video it was a huge thing for me to do. I still to this day struggle with recording voice overs and filming talky type videos, because I panic. I freak out and my chest gets all tight and I forget how to breathe properly. So what seemed like a normal video to most people was a fucking gold star first place achievement for me. People still mistake my anxiety and nervousness for me being boring and miserable. But I'm working on it. ^_^

May
In May my Pop Art video hit one million views! Which is craaaaazy. It's actually really close to hitting 2 million views now too. It always surprises me that so many of my videos are so successful. I don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that people take the time to watch them. I still get excited every time someone comments one of my videos!

June
I didn't know it at the time but June was the last month I'd call Halifax 'home'. That sounds kind of dark and depressing... Just wait until July, haha. I spent most of my time playing The Last of Us (game of the year, amiright?), and jumping between Halifax and London. I was lucky enough to be able to go the IMATS with my friend Klaire. It was my first IMATS and I had no idea what was going on and was just overwhelmed by the entire experience so I didn't really make the most of it. Hopefully I'll know what's happening at 2014 IMATS and get myself lots of goodies! Will I see you there? 

July
In July, Brad and I moved into our own place! I moved out of my mom's house, moved 200 miles away from home and moved in with my boyfriend. So three big things all at once! It all happened so quickly. Of course I'd wanted to move closer to Brad and my friends for ages, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast. I was browsing through flats on the internet, like I always would, never quite expecting anything to come of it. Then I saw a cute little flat in the perfect location so I snatched it up and we moved in straight away. I didn't think I'd be able to move out until early 2014 at the very least, but here I am!
I went to the Summer in the City Warm Up Tour in Bristol and got to meet some of you guys! And got a tiny bit drunk for the first and only time in my life, but we won't talk about that.
Aaand I did the makeup for another TomSka video... In the same power station. And yes, it was still cold. You can watch the video here, if you want! I also kind of decided that I don't want to do makeup anymore. On myself, yes, great, I love it. So don't worry, my YouTube channel isn't going anywhere. But I just don't enjoy doing it on other people anymore. So I'm back to trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

August
August was all about you guys. I went to Summer in the City and got to meet some of you! (Yes, I saved our photos! :D) It was so much fun. I can't even explain how it made me feel to be able to see you in person. It's one thing to see the number of views a video gets, but it's another thing entirely to see that view as an actual human being and be able to thank you in person. You were all so sweet and I can't wait to meet more of you next year... this year. Will I see you there?! 

September
I have nothing to say about September. I was enjoying being able to spend time with my friends and not being left out because I used to be so far away all the time!

October
In October I was working my arse off constantly. I agreed to make some videos for a company called Delights. Even though it turns out I've missed out on quite a bit of money, I still enjoyed doing them. I got lots of free costumes and props which are always useful for the more mental side of my channel. That's also why I didn't do many Halloween videos this year. Well, I did... They're just not on my channel. Next year's Halloween will be amazing. I have so many things planned and I'm going to film them months in advance this time. 
I also went to go see Alter Bridge with Brad and his cousin Luke. Alter Bridge is probably my favourite band if I had to choose. Myles Kennedy's voice was just as perfect live and I'm so glad got the chance to go. 

November 
November was the month I decided I'd really like to move house. It turns out this flat is almost uninhabitable during the cold winter months. We're living underneath blankets and dressing gowns because the flat just doesn't warm up. It's making me super lazy and unproductive because I never want to to get out of my warm bed. Not to mention my fingers being too cold to use a makeup brush properly. First world problems, I know. But I don't pay rent so I can live in a refrigerator, damn it. :')

December
December was the month of The Cat Chronicles. A little cat kept waiting outside our door in the pouring rain every night waiting for us to let him in. We figured he was abandoned or lost so we kept letting in him stay the night then let him out in the morning hoping he'd go home. This went on for a few days so I put a little note on his collar explaining what had happened and to call me so I knew he had a home. Long story short, the RSPCA ended up taking him in, then bringing him back to my house in the evening. Then we released him in the morning with an RSPCA collar on asking the owner to call, if he was owned. They ended up calling and letting us know that he had a home and he was just a confused old man. Turns out he was 17 and only lived two doors down! Bless his little paint pot socks. He still comes and sit outside the house sometimes. </3 We've decided we want to move into a house with a garden next so we can buy a pet. ^_^
I also had a haircut! I was sick of getting it caught underneath my armpits and just wanted a change. Already hate it. Already can't wait for it to grow back, hahaha.

Well, that was my year! I guess I did more than I thought I had. I was going to write some new year's resolutions at the end of this post but I think this is long enough. :')

I hope you had an awesome 2013 and I hope 2014 is even better!